May 17th was Food Revolution Day, a global day of action raising awareness of the importance of healthy food, by encouraging everyone to "Cook it, Share it, Live it"! Jamie Oliver is the face of Food Revolution Day. I love his everyday passion and food philosophy! I celebrated Food Revolution Day by cooking a beautiful dish using nothing but the freshest ingredients. I wanted to share the recipe with you.
Almond & Cumin Crusted Salmon
2 salmon fillets
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 tsp cumin
Juice of fresh lemon
1. Chop pumpkin and carrots and place on stovetop, bring to boil, cook until soft
2. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on fillets. Meanwhile mix almond meal and cumin in a bowl and coat fillets in mixture
3. Place fillets in hot fry pan with olive oil and cook about 7 minutes either side (depending on thickness)
4. Strain pumpkin and carrots and mash with a fork using tsp olive oil
Don't shop on an empty stomach
You've probably heard this one before... don't go shopping when you're hungry. Well, a study from Cornell University has shown people who were hungrier bought higher calorie food options when shopping. No surprises there!
My tips for a healthy shopping trolley:
- Don't go shopping when you're hungry
- Plan your meals, write a list and stick to it
- Stick to the outer layers of the supermarket (where the fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats, eggs, low fat dairy and wholegrain breads are found)
Meatless Monday - why not try mushrooms?
Mushrooms make a great replacement for meat as they are very low in calories, fat and have a meaty flavour. A recent study showed overweight and obese participants lost weight and body fat by switching a serve of red meat for one cup of button mushrooms. Why not try cooking mushrooms this meatless monday?
Risoni and Mushroom Salad